Do you love short ribs? We really do! Short Ribs have an uniquely delicious flavor, and once cooked long and slow, are fall off the bone tender. I made the most delicious short ribs last week. This is a recipe I grew up with and have made many, many times. This delicious Savory Short Ribs recipe can be made in a crock pot easily, and I have done that many times also!
This time I cooked it on the stove, as I really like to brown the short ribs first. Of course you can brown them in a pan first and then put them in the crock pot, and I would definitely do that if you decide to slow-cook your short ribs but I didn’t feel like washing an extra pot this time! I also love to cook stews and soups in my All Clad stockpot that I’ve had for many years. The ‘top of the stove’ method takes less than two hours to cook, whereas a slow cooker version would take 8 hours – which is great if you work or are away from home during the day. It is so great to come home to the smell of this wonderful stew.
This dish is true comfort food, especially in the cold weather – but we have it anytime of the year, it’s that delicious!
You can use bone in or boneless short ribs for this recipe — this last time I used mostly bone-in but also added a small package of boneless short ribs. Sometimes those can be difficult to find, so when I do see them I snatch them up!
SAVORY BEEF SHORT RIBS with Lima Beans
Obviously if you are not a lima bean fan, you don’t have to include them in this recipe – but they really add a super delicious, savory component to the short ribs and vegetables. I think that even fresh green beans would go well in this recipe, but I really love lima beans.
3 – 4 lbs. of bone-in short ribs or a combination of bone-in and boneless short ribs
2 – 2 1/2 cups water
1 large onion, chopped in about 1″ pieces, or you can use slices
2 Tablespoons of vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar or red vinegar)
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 bay leaves
1 10 oz. package of frozen lima beans
4 medium carrots cut into 3 x 1/2″ sticks
1/2 – 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Trim excess fat from beef short ribs if desired, but don’t remove all of it.
- Brown the beef in stock pot, dutch oven or even a skillet if you want to put them in the crock pot to cook.
- Add water, onions, vinegar, salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- After simmering an hour, add frozen beans, carrots, brown sugar and ginger if desired.
- Heat to boiling and reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove beef and vegetables to platter, or serve right away in large bowls.
I usually find the broth thickened enough that I don’t make it into a gravy but you certainly can for added richness:
- You should have at least a cup or cup and a half of beef broth in your stock pot, if not, add enough packaged beef broth or water to make a cup and a half of broth.
- Wisk 1/3 cup of cold water into 3 Tablespoons of flour and stir slowly into into hot broth in pan, heat to boiling stirring constantly, boil and stir 1 minute and serve with your short ribs.
Savory Beef Short Ribs will hold covered over low heat for up to one hour.
So delicious! Serve it with some homemade (or store bought) crispy french bread, your family will love it!
Serving size: 2 short ribs | Calories: 600 | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 65g | Fat: 34g | Sodium: 1620mg | Sugar: 1g
Course: Dinner, Main Course
Keyword: Savory Beef Short Ribs